Sunday, June 29, 2008

SPS: Last Shots from NYC

Here are a few last images from my recent trip to NYC. This first one shows some of the exotic produce for sale at a street market in the Chinatown area. From one street corner you could look north into the red, white, and green of Little Italy, then turn and look south into Chinatown. If I remember correctly, the bright pink fruit selling for $9 a pound was called dragon fruit.

This sculpture is in Battery Park, at the tip of Manhattan. A sign stated that this sculpture stood in the courtyard of the World Trade Center and was damaged (as you can see) in the events of September 11th. It was moved here to serve as a memorial, as its original purpose was to represent the concept of world peace. There is an eternal flame at the base.

From Battery Park, you can see across the harbor to the Statue of Liberty. We did not have time to take the ferry out to the island to visit the Lady up close, but this is the closest I've made it to her yet. The National Park Service owns the property at the tip of Manhattan, and there is a large fort there called Castle Clinton. The fort was turned into an opera house in the 1800s, but later fell into disrepair, and is now restored to its historic state as a fort.

And lastly, here is a shot taken through a window into the Toys R' Us store in Times Square. Each "car" on this ride had a different theme. There was an M&M car and a Monopoly-themed car, for example. Barbie, Mr. Potato Head, Scooby Doo & the Cabbage Patch Kids got some face time, too.
Makes me want to be a kid again :)

1 comment:

Bernie said...

Hi Ash - I just discovered your site. I especially enjoy your choice of subject matter and your composition. I like your NYC shots. I stayed right on Times Square for a business trip a few years ago and did not have my camera with me - big mistake. New York is so photogenic. And I really like your shots of Bryce and Zion, two places I'd like to visit, cameras in hand. I took some great pictures of Arches, Canyonlands and the Grand Canyon several years ago but I won't be able to post them till I get a film scanner (I shot slides then).