Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Familiar Places

While in NYC, one of the things I continually found myself thinking was "Wow ... there's the (insert name of famous building/park/ street/area here) that I've always seen on TV, right here in front of me!" Sometimes I forget that a lot of the things seen on TV actually exist outside the little picture box :)
Here is Rockefeller Center, rising behind a large sculptural piece meant to mimic its shape. Although the artwork is only a small fraction of the size of the original, here it appears just as large. Right next door to this skyscraper is NBC studios, where The Today show broadcasts daily.

Next photo is looking down across a fountain/wall made of reddish brown granite. This feature is inside the lobby of Trump Tower, which is well known to me by watching many seasons of Trump's show The Apprentice.

The main interest for me, in this photo, is the Chrysler Building, seen in the far distance. To me, the Art Deco design is divine. Tourists are allowed to go about fifteen feet into the Chrysler's lobby, before guards start frowning and asking for identification. However, fifteen feet was far enough for me to nab some photos. Over each door, dramatically lit letters announce the street on which the entrance opens:

And I've still got a few more NYC pics up my sleeve for next post ...

8 comments:

Tom said...

These picture show me just how good you are at taking pictures and seeing a shot.. normally it would be wildlife and beautiful scenic views I see here, but now you look perfectly at ease finding the right shots and the beauty in the buildings around you. Excellent post.

Suffeli kuvailee said...

wow!!really high building

~Brenda said...

Awesome pictures; that would be very exciting to see buildings and landmarks in person that you have seen on television!

Did you stand outside with the many people who go to the Today Show?

Unknown said...

I loved our visit to NY city. I'm sure you got to visit Central Park! I think I have a few pics of our visit on my photo blog.

Gretchen said...

We keep talking about visiting NYC "some day." Thanks for sharing with us.

Oh, you have a little award over at my site. If you have a minute, pop by and pick it up. :)

Catherine said...

Beautiful captures Ash!!
Also loved your Jersey bird's in earlier post!! :)
Have a beautiful weekend!
Cat

Jack and Joann said...

I just discovered your blog thru visiting your uncle's blog and I like your posts so I am going to bookmark you and come back to see more. I did some hunting thru your old blog posts and discovered your pics of the Hope Diamond and other gems in D.C. Our former neighbor, John Wittman, works for a company in Northern Virginia that created the new display case for the Hope diamond that allows better movement of people around the Hope diamond.

Wayfarer said...

Spectacular shots Ash! You are quite the road warrior!